To Provide a path to self-sufficiency to prevent and end homelessness through affordable housing solutions and advocacy in Howard County, Maryland.
To Champion the eradication of homelessness in Howard County, Maryland.
Bridges to Housing Stability is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, serving Howard County, MD. Bridges believes that housing is the key to a household’s stability. Whether resolving the issue of homelessness or preventing a household from becoming homeless, our goal goes beyond crisis intervention – our approach and mission focuses on long term housing stability for our target populations.
We welcome clients, tenants, staff and volunteers from all cultures and backgrounds regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, age, religious affiliation, or sexual orientation. Together we model our values in support of our mission and vision. We believe in:
- Treating all people with respect
- Providing opportunities for everyone to live in a home
- Delivering excellent service and advocacy to empower clients
- Recognizing the strengths and uniqueness of each individual and family when providing services
- Working collaboratively with partners
- Exhibiting professionalism, innovation, accountability, transparency, and a dedication to quality in all that we do.
Housing Stability Department
As a partner in Howard County’s Coordinated System of Homeless Services (CSHS), our Housing Advocates (who serve as case managers) coach and support homeless and near-homeless households on their journey to stable housing. Bridges serves residents with annual incomes under 50% of the county’s median household income which is approximately $110,000 per year. Last year, Bridges to Housing Stability helped more than 350 households find, or remain in, stable housing. Please note that Bridges is not a crisis intervention agency. We are working with households on long-term solutions. Bridges also provides financial assistance, administrative and system coordination for CSHS.
This affordable housing program provides income-based rental housing to low-wage working households with annual incomes between 30 to 60% of Howard County’s median income. While Bridges puts “Solving Homelessness with Housing” into action, we spread the message that the community cannot solve homelessness without affordable housing for low-wage families.
Along with others, Bridges is a leading voice in the community call to resolve the shortage of affordable housing needed for low-wage workers to live in Howard County. Bridges believes this is essential to the goal of ending homelessness in Howard County.
Recent achievements include:
- Key leader in the Howard County Plan to End Homelessness
- Key developer and coordinator in the county’s Coordinated System of Homeless Services (CSHS)
- Selected as operator of the Howard County component of a regional Shelter Diversion Program by United Way of Central MD (ADD LINK)
- Recipient of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Poverty Eradication Award in 2014
- Recipient of the United Way of Central Maryland “Spirit of Partnership” Award in 2013
- BBB Accredited Charity